Welcome to the Art Chart. This blog is designed around my Life Drawing II class where I will be expanding my artistic horizons by viewing and responding to the work of a new artist that I've never seen or heard of before. I'm eager to see a variety of work and going beyond the artists I tend to favor. Let's see how this works out. Updates on Tuesdays.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Response to Tim Gardner

It seems I'm falling a bit behind on these. I can't make any excuses so I'll just have to do more than one a week for a little while. This probably isn't the best news after that, but the semester is wearing me out a bit particularly in the life drawing aspect. Not that Life Drawing II is too much, but it seems like most of my classes have become surrogate life drawing classes. I've filled up close to five sketchbooks with life drawings but haven't had time for any really fun, personal drawings. With this craving for creativity and imagination, I'm afraid I didn't enjoy the artist I'm responding to too much this week. Tim Gardner is a watercolor painter. While his works are technically sound, I find them to be a tad stiff. It was hard to determine which paintings I was supposed to be looking at. Apparently there is more than one artistic Tim Gardner. The paintings I found to be most interesting are the ones where one or two figures stand alone in a space. There is often some scenic vista that fills the canvas. Though I can see the scene made larger by the small figure, I didn't really get any emotional reaction. This is probably just on my end, but as I said the figures looked a bit stiff and bland. Nothing really stood out as unique or especially engaging. On another day I might give a bit more credit but I just didn't really get exited about Gardner's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment