Welcome to the Art Chart. This blog is designed around my Life Drawing II class where I will be expanding my artistic horizons by viewing and responding to the work of a new artist that I've never seen or heard of before. I'm eager to see a variety of work and going beyond the artists I tend to favor. Let's see how this works out. Updates on Tuesdays.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Response to Neo Rauch

I'm back again this week. This time I took a look at the work of Neo Rauch. This German artist works in oil paints where he creates large scale paintings that remind me of the surrealist work of Dali and more so Earnst. Rauch uses a much more impressionistic style. He puts minimal detail into his figures, just enough that they will read properly. The subject of each painting seems to always involve multiple figures interacting with each other. Odd symbols are often seen within the figures, their actions and all around them. These seem to have a very deep meaning but I felt I lacked the context to really see what the artist was trying to communicate. I looked at many of his works, and while the style drew me in for a closer look. I couldn't find any close relationship with any of the paintings. The sharp edges he uses in his compositions feel abrupt and I don't venture too close or spend too much time trying to decode a painting. The paintings are so vivid and full of energy that I am quickly drawn close but then feel like I'm being attacked and I take a step back and try to view the piece as a whole. I try to follow the energy through the work but its not so much flowing, like I tend to enjoy, but it shoots everywhere with chaotic force. Awkward angles and poses with transforming figures generate movement and send it whizzing every which direction, sending it toward me when it hits one of those angles. This feels very chaotic, frantic, and cryptic to me. These things together create an interesting dynamic flow that I find interesting for a short while, but wards me off. Perhaps my interest would persist if I could read the symbolism. As it is, it keeps my interest for only a short while, not because I think poorly of it, but I don't find anything to keep me involved for very long.

1 comment:

  1. Great formal analysis. Perhaps the lack of context and absurdity is relevant to our current information overload, but I agree that perhaps some of it relates specifically to a European or German audience better.

    ReplyDelete